Basildon District Citizens Advice Bureau
Managing your money with confidence
· Will you need to start making payments towards your rent and council tax?
· Will the benefit changes affect you?
Registered Charity Number: 1113231
Ways to make your money go further…
· Use cash instead of cards - so you can see what you’re spending
· Write down everything you spend - to gain a clear picture as to how you spend your money
· Shop around - compare prices in the shops and on-line
· Look out for BOGOF’S - Buy one get one free
· Downshift - buy a cheaper brand
· Use ‘money off’ vouchers - see back page for websites offering
· discount vouchers
· Buy in bulk, cook in bulk and freeze
· Look in reduced section of supermarket
· Do your supermarket shop in the evening, most supermarkets
· reduce perishable food prices after 8pm
· Make a shopping list - and try to stick to this!
· Save loyalty points
· Home cook rather than buy takeaways
· Pay cash and ask for a discount
· Use charity or vintage shops
· Go dotty! Some shops put a red or black dot on the laundry label to secretly indicate to staff that the item will be lower in price. So it may be worth waiting for the sale.
· Buy at an auction or car boot sales
· Check out local newspaper/corner shop window small ads
· Book in advance - often cheaper for train and bus fares
· Freecycle - www.freecycle.co.uk
· Save up for things—cheaper than getting credit
· Only use a cash machine once a week
· Check benefit entitlement - www.turn2us.org.uk
Free budget sheets are available from
Basildon Citizens Advice Bureau
If you are disabled, of pensionable age, have a long term health condition or are bringing up children on your own you may be
entitled to some help.
Contact your energy supplier for further information British Gas - Home Energy Care - 0800 072 7100
British Gas - Warm Home Discount Scheme - 0800 072 8625
EDF Energy - Priority service register - 0800 169 9970
Eon - Caring energy - Priority service register - 0800 051 1480
Npower - Warm response Team - 0808 172 6999
Scottish and Southern Energy - Careline - 0800 622 838
Home Heat Helpline - advice on reducing bills, grants and cheaper ways to pay for your gas and electricity
0800 33 66 99 www.homeheathelpline.org
Same price for prepayment meters
Ebico Ltd - non profit gas and electricity supplier offering same prices for all customers regardless of payment method
0800 458 7689 www.ebico.org.uk
Contact your water company helpline if you are having difficulty paying your bill. Have you considered a water meter to reduce charges?
Watersure Scheme (available for customers with a water meter)
If you have three or more children or a medical condition and claim a qualifying benefit you can ask for your bill to be capped allowing you to manage your accounts and bills easier.
0845 850 5852
Age UK—Surviving Winter
Over 65 years and in receipt of benefits register for a warm pack including fleece and hot water bottle 01245 245455
Benefit changes April 2013
Council Tax Benefit change to Council Tax Support
Changes to the above benefit will mean that everyone of working age and in receipt of benefits will pay at least 15% of their council tax bill. The
calculation of support will also reflect a flat £10 per week deduction for any non– dependent adult residing in council tax payers property.
Pensioners are not affected.
A size limit rule is being introduced. If, under new rules it is decided you have more bedrooms than necessary for your household your housing
benefit will be reduced by:
· 14% if you have 1 extra bedroom
· 25% if you have 2 or more extra bedrooms
You should speak to your local authority Housing Benefit/Housing Service or CAB as soon as possible.
· www.bascab.org.uk—online help and information from
Basildon District CAB
· www.adviceguide.org.uk - Citizens Advice online help and advice
· www.moneysavingexpert.co.uk - consumer money saving tips,
advice and free money saving guide
· www.nationaldebtline.co.uk - free and confidential advice with
specialist help also available over the telephone 0808 808 4000
· england.shelter.org.uk/get advice
· www.myvouchercodes.co.uk www.ukvoucherscodes.co.uk
· www.couponwatch.co.uk www.foodfreebies.co.uk
Energy price comparison - Find out how much you can save by switching energy suppliers. The following websites are accredited by consumer focus:
www.uswitch.com 0800 404 7908
www.simplyswitch.com 0800 011 1395
www.moneysupermarket.com 0845 345 5708